OMBUDSMAN - Frequently Asked Questions




Q. While my child is detained at a YDC or RYDC, can the work he/she completes while detained be transferred to his/her home school once he/she is released?

Yes. As Georgia's 181st school district, we offer youth in our custody the opportunity to earn a high school diploma from a system accredited by both the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and Correctional Education Association (CEA). Students can also earn a GED, Career, Technical and Agricultural Education (CTAE) certificates and college credit hours.

Q. My child has been diagnosed with depression and has been prescribed medication. While he/she is in detention, will he/she be able to receive his/her meds, and does DJJ have doctors that can handle his/her behavioral health needs?

Yes. All all DJJ detention facilities have a behavioral health program. From the moment a youth enters a detention center, the process for assessing their mental health needs begins. Your child will be evaluated by a masters-level mental health clinician and by a psychiatrist and you will be contacted to discuss your child's medications.

Q. Does each youth have a right to religious services?

Yes. A youth’s attendance in religious services within facilities is voluntary. DJJ employs a full-time non-denominational chaplain.

Q. Will my child’s juvenile record be sealed?

A youth's juvenile record may be sealed. Once the youth's case has been closed, he/she will need to demonstrate a period of two years of behavior without any further law violations or pending proceedings against them for conviction or adjudication in order for the youth to be deemed rehabilitated. At this time of rehabilitation, the youth may petition the juvenile court to seal the record.

Carolene Maddox, Ombudsman