A School Resource Officer (SRO), under supervision, performs a full range of assigned law enforcement duties to maintain security and order in a detention facility educational setting.
The duties of an SRO include:
- Performing all law enforcement related duties in a highly professional manner consistent with established procedures and directives.
- Providing a security clearance for each student entering the secure area of the building. This will include when youth leave the secure area for bathroom breaks, class breaks/lunch time breaks, and at the beginning of each session.
- Regularly conducting walkthroughs of classrooms, hallways and in school offices.
- Addressing students who are disruptive, inappropriately dressed, late, and/or absent.
- Facilitating safety drills as required by the Georgia Preparatory Academy.
- Inspecting areas frequented by youth for contraband and /or safety breach after each movement including break times and beginning/ending of each session.
- Monitoring security equipment and camera system and ensure problems are reported immediately so that corrective actions can be implemented.
- Meeting with supervisors, education staff and support staff to increase student involvement.
- Assisting in planning weekly student success meetings with students, education, and probation, and assist in coordinating monthly parent meetings.
- While performing the duties of this job, the SRO frequently is required to stand for extended periods of time.
- Facilitating group discussions with students as requested on various law enforcement topics.